KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Residents of Ukraine’s bombed but undaunted capital clutched empty bottles in search of water and crowded into cafés for power and warmth today, switching defiantly into survival mode after new Russian missile strikes a day earlier plunged the city and much of the country into the dark.
In scenes hard to believe in a sophisticated city of 3 million, some Kyiv residents resorted to collecting rainwater from drainpipes, as repair teams labored to reconnect supplies.
Friends and family members exchanged messages to find out who had electricity and water back. Some had one but not the other. The previous day’s aerial onslaught on Ukraine’s power grid left many with neither.
Cafés in Kyiv that by some small miracle had both quickly became oases of comfort on today.
Oleksiy Rashchupkin, a 39-year-old investment banker, awoke to find that water had been reconnected to his third-floor flat but power had not. His freezer thawed in the blackout, leaving a puddle on his floor.
So he hopped in a cab and crossed the Dnieper River from left bank to right, to a café that he’d noticed had stayed open after previous Russian strikes. Sure enough, it was open, serving hot drinks, hot food and with the music and WiFi on.
“I’m here because there is heating, coffee and light,” he said. “Here is life.”
Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said about 70 percent of the Ukrainian capital was still without power on this morning.
With cold rain falling and the remnants of a previous snowfall still on the streets, the mood was grim but steely. The winter promises to be a long one. But Ukrainians say that if Russian President Vladimir Putin’s intention is to break them, then he should think again.
“Nobody will compromise their will and principles just for electricity,” said Alina Dubeiko, 34. She, too, sought out the comfort of another, equally crowded, warm and lit café. Without electricity, heating and water at home, she was determined to keep up her work routine. Adapting to life shorn of its usual comforts, Dubeiko said she uses two glasses of water to wash, then ties her hair in a ponytail and is ready for her working day.
She said she’d rather live without power than live with the Russian invasion, which crossed the nine-month mark today.
“Without light or you? Without you,” she said, echoing remarks President Volodymyr Zelenskky made when Russia on Oct. 10 unleashed the first of what has now become a series of aerial onslaughts on key Ukrainian infrastructure.
Klitschko said in a Telegram statement that power engineers “are doing their best “ to restore electricity. Water repair teams were making progress, too. In the early afternoon, Klitschko announced that water supplies had been restored across the capital, with the caveat that “some consumers may still experience low water pressure.”
People lined up at public water points to fill plastic bottles. In a strange new war-time first for her, 31-year-old Health Department employee Kateryna Luchkina resorted to collecting rainwater from a drainpipe, so she could at least wash her hands at work, which had no water. She filled two plastic bottles, waiting patiently in the rain until they had water to the brim. A colleague followed behind her, doing the same.
“We Ukrainians are so resourceful, we will think of something. We do not lose our spirit,” Luchkina said. “We work, live in the rhythm of survival or something, as much as possible. We do not lose hope that everything will be fine.”
Power, heat and water were gradually coming back elsewhere, too. Regional authorities posted messages on social media updating people on the progress of repairs but also saying they needed time.
Mindful of the hardships — both now and ahead, as winter progresses — authorities are opening thousands of so-called “points of invincibility” — heated and powered spaces offering hot meals, electricity and internet connections. More than 3,700 were open across the country this morning, said a senior official in the presidential office, Kyrylo Tymoshenko.NEWSLETTER
Today's breaking news and more in your inbox
All 10 of MLB’s $300 million hitters played at least two seasons of those deals in their 20s. Unsurprisingly, all of the $300 million deals in baseball history are recent and ongoing, the earliest being Giancarlo Stanton’s extension signed in November 2014. And the overwhelming takeaway is that these sorts of contracts, nowadays, go to stars who are both great and young. Anthony Rendon, who turned 30 in June of the first season of his $245 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels, is perhaps the closest thing to a spiritual successor. I’d bet Yankees GM Brian Cashman isn’t expecting 39-year-old Judge — or even 36-year-old Judge — to be a 5-WAR player.1 hour ago EMEA Tribune
Nicolas Batum scored 16 points and center Ivica Zubac had 16 points and 13 rebounds before fouling out in overtime. Bol Bol and Mo Wagner each scored 20 points for the Magic, who trailed by 18 points in the first quarter. Cole Anthony's 3-pointer started a 12-2 run late in the first half to get the Magic within three points. Seth Curry added 20 points on 8-for-11 shooting to help the Nets win for the fifth time in six games. Pelicans 104, Pistons 98: Zion Williamson scored 29 points with 10 rebounds as host New Orleans beat Detroit for its fifth straight victory.3 hours ago San Francisco Chronicle
•••Regarding the state's $17 billion surplus ("State's surplus swells to $17.6 billion," Dec. 7): This last election was partially a referendum on how President Joe Biden handled inflation. In light of those events, would it be wise to give every Minnesotan a personal slice of the state budget surplus? How can the Legislature use the budget surplus to stimulate the state economy without overheating the national economy again? Wendy Eidukas, St. Paul•••The Dec. 7 headline read "State surplus swells to $17.6 billion." Although there are a small number of charter schools that outperform traditional public schools, the vast majority do not.7 hours ago Star Tribune
Nigeria as a nation is facing her fair or unfair share of global challenges that are overwhelming even greater nations of the world. It is not about a group of people; it is not about any religion; it is not about an individual; it is not about positions; it is all about our dear nation, Nigeria. What we really need in Nigeria today is attitudinal change even towards our culture, religious belief, tribes and tolerance. But today in Nigeria, it seems that hope is running low, there is so much anxiety about who takes over power. It starts with me and you – a peaceful Nigeria starts with me and you.7 hours ago Tribune Online
Italian confectioner Ferrero said Wednesday it is acquiring Wells Enterprises, one of the largest U.S. ice cream makers, in a deal that will broaden both companies’ offerings. AdvertisementBlue Bunny and Halo Top brand ice cream products are seen in Englewood, N.J., The Italian confection company Ferrero Group announced Wednesday that it's acquiring Wells Enterprises, the Iowa-based maker of Blue Bunny and Halo Top ice creams. Wells Enterprises’ manufacturing plants will continue to produce ice cream but may pivot to indulgent treats under brands like Keebler or Ferrero Rocher. The acquisition gives Ferrero an ice cream platform in North America, one of the most popular markets for ice cream. In 2021 it fully acquired Spain’s Ice Cream Factory Comaker and introduced its first-ever Ferrero Rocher ice cream bars.12 hours ago Chicago Tribune
FILE - In this photo provided by the U.S. Navy, smoke rises from the battleship USS Arizona as it sinks during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, Dec. 7, 1941. (AP Photo/File)HONOLULU (AP) — USS Arizona sailor Lou Conter lived through the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor even though his battleship exploded and sank after being pierced by aerial bombs. Many call him and others in the nation's dwindling pool of Pearl Harbor survivors heroes. On Wednesday, the U.S. Navy and the National Park Service will host a remembrance ceremony at Pearl Harbor in honor of those killed. It will be held at the Pearl Harbor National Memorial visitors center which overlooks the water and the white structure built to honor those killed on the Arizona.17 hours ago Mail Tribune
Dec. 7—Tuesday night, Owensboro city commissioners approved funding for a new Juvenile Drug Court program that will have an increased focus on providing mental health treatment. The number of juveniles in Juvenile Drug Court with a mental health issue is “well above 50%,” Porter said. A juvenile referred to Juvenile Drug Court has committed a public offense, but cannot have committed a violent or sexual offense, Porter said. Story continuesOfficials have said previously that detention centers are not equipped to provide mental health treatment. When asked about the cost of the mental health program, Porter said it is still far less expensive than putting a juvenile in incarceration.20 hours ago EMEA Tribune
"Yesterday, December 7, 1941 -- a date which will live in infamy -- the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by the naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan." -- President Franklin D. Roosevelt------A sad fact of live is that as time passes the tendency is for our memories to fade. On that fateful day, 2,403 Americans were killed and 1,178 were wounded on Pearl Harbor. While there is no official government list of survivors of Pearl Harbor, estimates in 2021 put the number of survivors around 75. And then live a life worthy of such sacrifice and courage.21 hours ago News Tribune